So you've got yourself some nutrient-dense quinoa, yummy seasoned black beans, Cuban mojo chicken and some amazing grilled pineapple salsa. (I'm seriously drooling...)
And let me tell you the pineapple salsa can definitely stand on its own. Sooo good!
You NEED to try this recipe as soon as possible!!
Grilled Cuban Mojo Chicken Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
Adapted from Closet Cooking
3 tsp. garlic, minced
3/4 cup sour orange juice (or 1/2 cup orange juice + 1/4 cup lime juice)
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 large chicken breasts
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 3/4 cup water (or broth)
1 pineapple, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
1 lime, juiced and zested
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
salt to taste
1 (15 oz.) can seasoned black beans, drained but NOT rinsed and warmed in a small pot
To Cook the Mojo Grilled Chicken:
1. Combine the garlic, sour orange juice, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and place in a sealed container with the chicken breasts to marinate overnight in the fridge or for at least 1 hour.
2. Heat a grill to medium-high heat and cook the chicken 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees F and the juices run clear. Slice into thin strips and set aside.
To Cook the Quinoa:
1. Bring the quinoa and water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the liquid has been absorbed and the quinoa is nice and tender, about 15-20 minutes. (Or if you have a pressure cooker, use this recipe, but be sure to adjust the liquid!)
Grilled Pineapple Salsa:
1. Heat your grill over medium-high heat. Lightly brush the pineapple slices with oil and grill for 2 minutes on each side.
2. Dice the pineapple and mix with the onion, jalapeño, lime juice and zest and cilantro.
To assemble the Quinoa Bowls:
1. Layer each bowl with a scoop of quinoa, seasoned black beans, chicken and pineapple salsa. Enjoy!