Macaroni and Cheese
Butter, for greasing dish
2 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (packed) finely grated Parmesan
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for pasta water
12 ounces wide egg noodles
2 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cups (packed) grated Fontina
3/4 cup (packed) grated mozzarella
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Butter a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish and set aside. Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well, but do not rinse.
3. Whisk the cream, milk, flour, 1/2-teaspoon salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend. Stir in 1 cup Fontina, 1/2 cup Parmesan, 1/2-cup mozzarella, ham, if using, and parsley. 4. Add the noodles and toss to coat.
5. Transfer the noodle mixture to the prepared baking dish. Toss the remaining 1 cup Fontina, 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 1/4-cup mozzarella in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the noodle mixture.
6. Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.