Braided Pumpkin Bread
Slightly Adapted from The Stay at Home Chef
Makes 1 loaf
2½ tsp. instant yeast
2 Tbsp. warm water
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 large egg
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2-4 cups all-purpose flour (3 1/2 worked perfectly for me)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Dissolve the yeast into the water in a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer.
2. Add in the pumpkin, milk, butter, egg, brown sugar and salt. Mix until well combined.
Add 1/2 cup flour at a time until a nice, soft dough forms.
3. Knead the dough for 5 minutes or so until is smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover and let rise about 1 hour.
4. Divide the risen dough into thirds. Roll out each third into a long snake or rope (about 18 inches long). Lay the 3 ropes next to each other on a lightly greased baking sheet. On one end of the rope, pinch the 3 strands together and begin to braid. When you've braided the entire loaf, pinch the remaining ends together.
5. Cover and let rise another 30 minutes. Brush the braided dough with the lightly beaten egg.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown.