Roasted Garden Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Our Best Bites
Makes 2 1/2 cups sauce (small one sheet pan batch)
(If you have lots of tomatoes, make multiple pans and rotate them halfway through cooking.)
2 lbs. fresh tomatoes
2 large carrots
1/2 medium onion
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6-8 Tbsp. beef broth
1 Tbsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried oregano
additional salt and pepper, if needed
For Roasted Garlic
1 head garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with foil.
2. Slice tomatoes in half or quarters, making them all roughly the same size. Chop carrots in half lengthwise and then into 1-2 inch pieces. Chop onion into 1-2 inch large pieces.
3. Place everything on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Arrange everything in a single layer, with tomatoes sitting skin-side down.
4. Cut top 1/3 of whole garlic head off and discard. Place garlic on a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pull sides of foil up and secure. Place foil pack on baking sheet with tomatoes.
5. Roast in the oven for 2-3 hours, checking every hour, until everything is tender and tomatoes appear slightly shriveled.
6. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Place roasted vegetables in a food processor with broth. Open garlic packet and squeeze all cloves into the food processor. Pulse several times and then add herbs. Pulse again until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper, add additional broth for consistency. If desired, add a little sugar or a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
7. Let cool completely and then store in the fridge for a few days or in the freezer for several months.