We're back with another end-of-summer peach dessert! This year I decided to make a classic peach pie, but then switched it up in the end with the addition of some brown sugar crumble. I have to say I made a pretty good decision.
I used a frozen pie crust because I never want to make that extra step with pies, but you could easily use your favorite homemade pie crust.
Brown Sugar Crumble Peach Pie
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction
1 pie crust, homemade or frozen (I love Kroger’s frozen pie crusts that comes in the tin)
5-6 large peaches, thinly sliced (ripened, but slightly firm)
1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 & 2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1. The crust: Prepare pie crust according to directions. Place in pie pan or tin if not already.
2. Make the filling: Peel the peaches then cut into thin slices. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir the brown sugar, flour, orange juice, orange zest and cinnamon together until thoroughly combined. Stir in peach slices. Set filling aside as the oven preheats.
4. Preheat oven to 400°F.
5. Spoon the peach filling into the crust, leaving any liquid behind in the bowl. Use a small paring knife to trim excess dough off the edges. Flute the edges if needed.
6. Make the crumble topping: In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and flour. Stir in the butter until combined. The crumble topping will be thick and crumbly. Sprinkle over peaches.
7. Place the pie onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Keeping the pie in the oven, turn the temperature down to 375°F and cover lightly with a greased sheet of tinfoil to prevent the crust from burning. Bake an additional 25-30 minutes.
8. Allow the pie to cool for 3 full hours at room temperature before serving. This time allows the filling to thicken up. You can also place it in the fridge to really thicken the filling. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
*Cover pie leftovers tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.