While I have many enchilada recipes I love, I think I found my favorite. The chicken alone is perfectly marinated with so much dang flavor and the creamy chile verde sauce on top is unreal!
Honey-Lime Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Oh Sweet Basil
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 large limes)
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1-2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
7-10 8” flour tortillas (depends on how many you can fit)
1 (14 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream
chopped cilantro, for garnish
1. Place the shredded chicken in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic. Pour mixture over the chicken and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to marinate 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the sides and bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish lightly with cooking spray.
3. In a medium bowl combine the enchilada sauce and heavy cream. Spread 1/2 cup of the mixture in the bottom of the oiled baking dish.
4. Combine the black beans with the chicken. Add about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture to the center of each tortilla in a line. Cover the chicken with a large tablespoon of cheese, then roll the tortilla up from one side to make a rolled enchilada. Place the enchilada seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, chicken/bean mixture and about 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
5. Stir in the remaining marinade mixture to the enchilada sauce and cream mixture, if desired. Pour this mixture over the top of all the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
6. Bake the enchiladas for 30 to 35 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly and starting to brown on top. Top with chopped cilantro, if desired.