Easy 1-Hour Breadsticks
Slightly Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Makes about 16-20 breadsticks
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbsp. instant yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
Butter and Topping:
3 Tbsp. butter, melted (for the baking sheet)
Dried herbs, garlic salt and grated Parmesan cheese
1. In an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix together the water, yeast, sugar, salt and one cup of the flour.
2. Continue adding the flour until the dough just clears the sides of the bowl; knead for about three minutes. It should be soft and slightly sticky without leaving a lot of residue on your fingers.
3. Let the dough rest in the bowl for 10 minutes.
4. While the dough rests, preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spread the melted butter onto large, rimmed baking sheet (about 11X17-inches).
5. On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a long rectangle, about 16-inches by 7-inches or so. Cut the dough every 1-inch (more or less) into strips with a pizza cutter.
6. Twist each strip slightly and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, spread some of the melted butter on top of the breadsticks. Sprinkle lightly with dried herbs of choice, garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.
7. Let rise for 20 minutes in a warm room. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.