Baked “Fried” Chicken
Slightly Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings
10 chicken tenderloins
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
3 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. salt it won't taste salty
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. smoked or regular paprika
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1. Mix spices together in a small sealable bag. Add 1 tablespoon spices, 1 cup buttermilk and chicken to a large freezer bag and marinate 6-24 hours. Store remaining spices.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper (foil will NOT work because the chicken sticks to it). Add butter to baking sheet and melt in oven while it preheats. Remove baking sheet once butter is melted.
3. Mix together flour, panko, cornmeal and remaining spices in a large bowl. Add half of this breading mixture to a large freezer bag.
4. Remove chicken tenders from buttermilk and allow excess marinade to drip off.
5. Add half of the chicken to the breadcrumb bag and shake until well coated, pressing the breadcrumbs into the chicken with your fingers through the bag. Lay breaded chicken in butter on baking sheet. Add remaining breadcrumb mixture to bag along with remaining chicken and repeat.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden then carefully flip chicken and bake another 5 minutes. Then broil to desired crispiness.