Peach Crumb Cake
Slightly Adapted from Cooking Classy
1 1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. peaches at room temperature, peeled, cored and sliced (about 3 medium sliced into 10 slices each)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. half and half or milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make crumbs:
2. In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt until well blended (break any clumps of brown sugar up with fingertips). Pour in melted butter and using a rubber spatula, fold mixture until evenly moistened. Set aside.
To prepare cake:
3. In a separate mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, whip together butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time adding in vanilla with second egg. In liquid measuring cup used to measure buttermilk, whisk together the buttermilk with sour cream.
4. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter/egg mixture and mix just until combined, then pour in 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture and mix just until combined. Mix in another 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix just until combined, then remaining 1/2 of the buttermilk mixture (scrape any excess from liquid measuring cup) and mix just until combined. Finish by mixing in last 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix until nearly combined, then remove bowl and scrape bowl and fold batter just to combined.
5. Spray a 9-inch springform or cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour batter into pan. Top evenly with peaches then evenly sprinkle crumb mixture into very small crumbles over peaches. 6. Bake in preheated oven until center of cake is set (it shouldn't jiggle or sink when touched and toothpick should come out clean), about 50 - 55 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, then drizzle with glaze if desired.
For the glaze:
7. Whisk together powdered sugar, half and half and vanilla in a bowl until well blended. Add more half and half to thin as desired or more powdered sugar to thicken if needed.