Baked Batter “Fried” Shrimp with Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
Adapted from Diethood
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined with tail on
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. salt, divided
3 egg whites
3/4 cup panko crumbs
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
olive oil cooking spray
Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
pinch of salt
For the Shrimp:
1. Preheat oven to 475F.
2. Pour olive oil in a rimmed baking sheet/pan and spread around to cover the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine flour and 1 tsp. salt; mix to combine.
4. Pour the egg whites in a separate bowl and beat lightly.
5. In a third bowl, combine panko crumbs, 1 tsp. salt and cayenne pepper; mix until well incorporated.
6. Roll shrimp in flour, one by one, shaking off excess. Dip in egg whites and then roll in bread crumbs. (Using your hands works best for this.)
7. Transfer shrimp to previously prepared pan and evenly spray each shrimp with cooking spray.
8. Bake for 7 minutes; turn over and continue to bake for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.
For the Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce
1. Melt butter in a saucepan or microwave. When completely melted, remove from heat or microwave and let stand about 20 seconds. Whisk in garlic powder and salt. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with the prepared shrimp.