Roasted Asparagus and Lemon Pasta
Adapted from Creme de la Crumb
1 bunch fresh asparagus
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. bowtie pasta, cooked according to package instructions
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice + 1 tsp. lemon zest
2 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
salt + pepper to taste
parmesan for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut off the tough ends of the asparagus and, if they're thick, peel them. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with the olive oil, then toss to coat the asparagus completely. Spread the asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, spray a large pan with cooking spray. Add butter and garlic to pan and stir for 1 minute until garlic is fragrant. Add flour and stir until mixture forms a ball or clump. Slowly whisk in milk until mixture is smooth. Whisk in the lemon juice and zest and bring sauce to a light boil, whisking occasionally.
4. Once boiling and slightly thickened, remove from heat and stir in the cooked pasta to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Top with roasted asparagus pieces and grated parmesan before serving.