Teriyaki Chicken and Veggie Bake
Adapted from Oh Sweet Basil
1 1/2 cups cooked white rice
1 breast of chicken
1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1 cup shredded carrots
3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp. honey
3/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. sesame or olive oil
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 Tbsp. cold water
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium saucepan, stir together the soy sauce, water, brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, sesame oil, and garlic. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
3. In a small bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch. Add 1 teaspoon of the hot soy mixture to the cornstarch mixture and then slowly pour everything into the boiling soy mixture, whisking until it begins to thicken. Set aside.
4. Place the chicken in a baking dish and pour 3/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the chicken. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and shred.
5. While the chicken is baking, steam the veggies and then combine them with the rice and chicken in a 8x8-inch baking dish. Add all of the leftover teriyaki sauce from the chicken and stir to combine.
6. Place the dish back in the oven for 10 minutes, remove and drizzle with a little more sauce. Serve immediately.