When I saw this recipe, I knew it would be a winner. It looked like it was no fuss and basically mouthwatering. I'm pleased to say it was a complete hit and such a fun, new take on the classic breakfast sandwich.
We'll definitely be making this again!
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Sandwich
Slightly Adapted from Closet Cooking
To Make One Sandwich:
salt and pepper to taste
1 English muffin, lightly toasted
2 Tbsp. refried beans, warmed
2 Tbsp. guacamole (you can easily smash an avocado and season with lime juice and salt)
1 Tbsp. salsa ranchera*
feta or queso fresco
1. Fry egg as desired, season with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread the refried beans on one side of the English muffin, place egg on top followed by the salsa and guacamole. Top with cheese if desired and place the other half of the English muffin on top.
1 Tbsp. oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is good)
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onions and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cumin and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro.
5. Puree in a food processor if desired.