This dish was so good and it can be served with so many different sides. We put it over rice, which made it a total comfort dish, but pasta or mashed potatoes would be perfect, too. This is something you're going to want to try right away because it is that good! This will definitely be added to our meal rotation!
Panko Crusted Chicken with Lemon Alfredo Sauce
Adapted from Oh Sweet Basil
2 large chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
zest of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
1. Place beaten egg in a shallow dish. In another dish combine the flour, salt and pepper. In a third dish combine the panko, zest and Parmesan cheese.
2. Place the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap or a Ziploc bag and pound to 1/4-inch thick. Remove the breasts and slice them diagonally creating 4 chicken breasts instead of 2. Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.
4. Dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, then egg and lastly the panko. Add two breasts at a time to the skillet and cook 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and cooked through, adding more oil and butter to the pan as needed. Repeat with last 2 chicken breasts.
1. Meanwhile, make the sauce by melting butter in medium pot over low heat. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in flour. Gradually whisk in half-and-half until smooth.
2. Bring to boil, whisking. Cook, whisking, until beginning to thicken, 2-3 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, salt and pepper. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice. Continue to whisk until everything is well incorporated.
3. Remove from heat and serve over the chicken alongside rice, pasta or mashed potatoes.