Easy Homemade Chicken Burrito Bowls
Slightly Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats
2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Tbsp. olive oil
15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 cups cups cherry tomatoes, halved
4 oz. freshly shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream, guacamole, salsa, quesco fresco, optional
For the seasoning mix:
1 Tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
For the Cilantro-Lime Rice:
2 cups water
1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup long grain white rice
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime
1. Mix the seasonings together in a small bowl and set aside. Place chicken pieces in a separate bowl and combine with olive oil. Stir in enough seasoning mix until chicken is well seasoned; reserving 1 Tbsp. of seasoning for beans.
2. Heat a pan over medium-heat and cook chicken 3-4 minutes per side until no longer pink. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. For the Cilantro-Lime Rice: Bring water, oil, and salt to a boil in a saucepan. Rinse rice in a strainer under cold water then add to the boiling water, place a lid on top, turn heat down to medium-low, and then simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add lime juice and cilantro then stir to combine and set aside. (You can also do this in a rice cooker.)
4. Add black beans to a small saucepan with water and 1 Tbsp. seasoning mix. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low to stay warm.
5. Scoop cooked Cilantro-Lime Rice into bowls then top with grilled chicken, seasoned beans, cherry tomatoes, shredded cheese and other toppings if desired.