Alright, so I'm going to start this post by saying that I never ever thought I would be an Indian food fan based on the smell alone. One step into my hometown's Indian restaurant to hang up a poster and I thought I might pass out.
But here I am, a couple years later, realizing that I do in fact like curry and absolutely love this Indian Butter Chicken.
Thanks to a fellow blogger, I tried this recipe and fell in love. There is so much flavor going on in this dish and it doesn't scream curry. Love, love, love it.
Indian Butter Chicken
Adapted from Let’s Dish
2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 Tbsp. butter
1 can (14.5 oz.) tomato sauce
1 cup heavy cream or half & half
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Combine the garlic, salt, pepper, spices and lime juice.
2. Pour over chicken in a shallow container or Ziploc bag and marinate for at least two hours.
3. Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes.
4. Add the tomato sauce. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on.
5. Add the cream and cilantro and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, until sauce is thickened slightly. Serve over rice.