Belgian Cinnamon Liege Waffles - Bruges Waffles and Frites Copycat Recipe
Amazon. It seems a bit pricy at first, but in comparison to buying one $7 waffle at Bruges, it is worth it. Plus you can pile on as many toppings as you please without the extra price.
Be sure to pile on the toppings and enjoy this decadent dessert like I did in place of a traditional birthday "cake."
Belgian Cinnamon Liege Waffles
Makes 8 Waffles
1 Tbsp. yeast
3/4 cup milk, warmed
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 sticks butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. Belgian pearl sugar (the Lars pearl sugar comes in 8 oz. packets)
Toppings: Any kind of berries, ice cream, Nutella, chocolate, cookie butter, etc.
1. Warm milk in microwave for 15-20 seconds (until warm to touch - not hot). Dissolve the yeast into the warm milk and let sit 5 minutes.
2. In stand mixer with dough attachment, add the flour, salt and cinnamon; mix together slightly.
3. Add the milk/yeast mixture, butter and eggs. Combine well. Lastly mix in the vanilla.
4. Scrape batter into a bowl (making sure dough is fully incorporated), cover and allow to rest and rise for 30 minutes. Note: Dough is sticky and nothing like normal waffle batter.
5. Preheat Belgian waffle iron and spray with non-stick cooking spray. When ready to cook waffles, fold 8 oz. of pearl sugar into the dough-like batter. Scoop out heaping ½ -1 cups of the batter into the middle of the waffle iron, close, and cook until lightly golden (about 2-3 minutes per waffle). You can use as much dough in the iron as you like to make them bigger.
6. Top with toppings of choice and serve warm.