July 29, 2013
Ever since I can remember I have always been a broccoli fanatic. I was a picky eater growing up, but I always loved what most kids would consider to be gross, as in things such as broccoli.
My mom would simply boil it, but within the last couple of years I found this recipe for roasted broccoli and I've never gone back.
I strongly believe that the best way to cook veggies is to roast them. So much more flavor! And so easy, too!
Source: Our Best Bites
2-3 cups broccoli (about 1-2 regular heads), cleaned and stems trimmed
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1-2 Tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese (fresh parm is best)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Place broccoli on a parchment paper or foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the broccoli with olive oil and then toss to combine to coat each piece. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (You can also mix the broccoli and seasonings in a bowl before placing on the baking sheet.)
3. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until stems are golden brown and slightly crisp.
4. Remove broccoli from oven and immediately sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Toss and serve.
July 22, 2013
Now that I officially have a toddler, which I'd say is any time after a baby turns one, we've had to get all new feeding gear. Instead of Advent Bottles, we've had to change over to sippy cups and switched from ceramic to plastic everything. It's a fun stage, but it sure helps to have an idea of what you need to buy, especially if you're on a budget. Here is what we have liked so far!
1. IKEA ANTILOP Highchair with Tray: $25 - This highchair comes in blue or white and is the best purchase we've made so far. It's extremely easy to clean and the legs are detachable so you really can take it anywhere. LOVE this highchair and what's not to love about the price!?
2. JJ Cole Boys Bib Set: $19 - I was actually able to get these for free and I'm so glad I did! The price might have deterred me, but they are the best bibs. They have great coverage, have a pocket to catch falling food and are so easy to wipe clean. A definite must-buy!
3. IKEA BARNSLIG Highchair Support Cushion: $5 - We ended up not using a Bumbo because our son's legs were WAY too chubby for it, so once he started sitting up around 5 months, we put this cushion behind him in his highchair until he was able to sit up on his own. He loved it and so did we! It's also really easy to throw in the wash.
IKEA KALAS Tableware Line: $2 for each 6/pack - I can't say enough about this line of kid's tableware. It's plastic, colorful, a decent size and only $2 for a 6/pack! The plates and bowls are my favorite, but we plan to use the cups and utensils for when our little one gets older. (The utensils are a little too sharp right now.)
6. Tommee Tippee Explora Sippy Cups: $8 for 2 - Before we bought these, our son was actually using a kid's Camelbak water bottle, which still works great for water, but you're not supposed to have any other liquid inside of it. So I found these cups, which are similar to the Cambelbak because the top flips open and they are spill-proof. We've really liked them so far!
7. Parent's Choice Spoon and Fork Set: $3 - I got these as a gift at one of my baby showers and didn't really intend on using them, but they've been awesome! It only comes with forks and spoons since your toddler doesn't need knives just yet, and the points are rounded so there is no poking of the tongue! They're the perfect size for toddlers and our little boy will honestly eat more if he "uses" his own fork or spoon.
Well I hope that helps! We've loved all these products in our home so far so I hope you will, too!
July 19, 2013
While I love to try new recipes, it's always fun to go back and make old favorites.
Here are some delicious recipes perfect for summertime!
|Roasted Strawberry Pancakes|
While strawberries are in season, be sure to make this delicious breakfast (or dinner) treat!
|Copycat Winger's Asphalt Pie|
What says summer better than a pie made of ice cream? Keep it cool with this minty chocolate treat.
|Garden Vegetable Pasta Bake|
This pasta is beaming with fresh garden vegetables from zucchini to tomatoes to sweet corn! Perfectly light and tasty!
Be sure to try this not-so-lemon lemonade made from limes! It's tangy, sweet and perfect for summer!
These are amazing! We made these the other day and once again I couldn't stop talking about the flavor!
July 18, 2013
Anyway, I recently ordered some biscuits and gravy at a local diner in our town and realized how easy and yummy they would be for dinner. These biscuits and gravy sure are hearty and stick to your ribs good!
Super Sausage Biscuits and Gravy
Source: All Recipes
1 lb. ground pork sausage (If you're not a huge fan of sausage, use about a 1/2 lb. instead)
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste
1. Crumble and cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat until browned. Stir in flour until dissolved. Gradually stir in milk. Cook gravy until thick and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits.
2 1/4 cups Original Bisquick mix
2/3 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Stir ingredients until soft dough forms. Place on surface sprinkled with Bisquick mix. Knead 10 times.
2. Roll dough 1/2-inch thick. Cut with 2 1/2-inch cutter (I used a cup); place on ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
July 15, 2013
How Sweet It Is, I didn't think too much about it other than that I wanted to Pin It for later use. The burger seemed like a genius idea, but it could also be a total disaster. Mexican meets burger? Yeah, I just didn't know what to think.
Then not to long after I decided to try it, after tweaking the recipe a bit, and fell completely in love...
This is hands-down one of the BEST burgers I have every made. The fresh avocado topped onto a taco-infused burger with a creamy salsa verde sauce dripping over the entire thing. What's not to love? And can it get any better than having a few crushed tortilla chips in every bite? Gotta have the crunch factor right?
All I can really say is that I am totally going to make these again and AGAIN because they are that good.
You can't say that doesn't look delicious, no?
Fiesta-Style Burgers with Salsa Verde Cream
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
1 lb. ground beef
½ tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
½ Tbsp. paprika
½ Tbsp. chili powder
½ tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
4 slices of cheddar cheese
1 avocado, sliced
crushed tortilla chips for topping
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1/4 cup salsa verde
½ cup sour cream
1. In a bowl, combine ground beef with salt and pepper, mixing to combine. Form beef into four equal patties.
2. In a smaller bowl, combine, cumin, paprika, chili, garlic and onion powders together and stir well to mix. Pick up each burger and using your hands, rub both sides and the edges of the burger with the spice rub, gently patting the spice in.
3. To cook, prepare the burger as you'd like - whether grilling it until your desired doneness or cooking it in a hot skillet for about 5 minutes per side. Add cheese on top 1-2 minutes before finished so it has time to melt.
4. Combine salsa verde and sour cream; set aside.
5. To serve, top each bottom bun with the burger then add avocado, salsa cream and crushed tortilla chips on top. Enjoy!
July 10, 2013
Sweet Chili Chicken with Pineapple Salsa
Slightly Adapted from Our Best Bites
Juice from 1 large lime (2-3 Tbsp.)
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. oil
1 lb. chicken tenders (about 8 tenders)
kosher salt and pepper
2 cups rice, cooked
1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple
1 avocado, diced
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
3 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce (I used Thai Kitchen)
1 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. warm water
1. Place lime juice, curry powder and oil in a large zip-top bag and shake lightly to combine. Add chicken tenders and marinate for at least 30 minutes, and up to 4 hours. Preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil grill gates. Remove chicken from marinade and sprinkle both sides lightly with salt and pepper. Grill chicken about 3 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F.
2. For the salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients and gently toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
3. For the sauce: Combine sweet chili sauce, honey, soy sauce and warm water and whisk with a fork until smooth.
4. To serve, place grilled chicken tenders over rice, top with salsa and drizzle with sauce.