Mini Eggnog Doughnut Muffins
Source: Two Peas and their Pod
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 2/3 cups all-Purpose Flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup eggnog
For the Glaze:
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 cup eggnog
3/4 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease *2 mini muffin pans or 1 regular muffin pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, using a mixer, cream together the butter, canola oil, and sugars till smooth. Add the eggs, beating to combine.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture alternately with the eggnog, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pans, filling the cups nearly full, about 2 teaspoons per cup. Bake the muffins for 10-12 minutes, or until they are a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean. Remove muffins from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes.
6. To make the glaze, combine butter, sugar, eggnog, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk until smooth. Dip the tops of each muffin into the glaze and let cool on a wire cooling rack until glaze sets up.
*I halved the recipe so it fit into one single mini muffin pan. Worked great! And I also dipped the cupcakes into the glaze twice for an extra coating.
*These muffins are even better the next day! The glaze hardens, the bottom crisps and the center remains fluffy. A doughnut hole lovers dream!