I originally saw this idea in one of my Food Network magazines, but they were fried. Baked is so much healthier and I love that this is the new trend.
Plus the added crunch of the panko crumbs make these awesome! It's a great appetizer idea, too!
Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli
Slightly Adapted from How Sweet It Is
1 lb. refrigerated cheese ravioli (about 40 pieces)
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup flour
1 3/4 cups panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese + more for topping
pinch of salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
marinara sauce for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with nonstick spray.
2. Add egg whites to one bowl, and in a larger bowl mix flour, bread crumbs, panko, parmesan, salt and pepper.
3. Bring water to a boil and cook ravioli for half of the recommended time. Drain and quickly spray them with nonstick spray to help them not stick together.
4. Once cool to the touch, dip each ravioli in egg whites then coat thoroughly with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on the wire rack and repeat until finished. Spray each with a quick hit of nonstick spray.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
6. Serve hot with marinara for dipping.