Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Cilantro Cream
I think what really got me though was the avocado cream that was slathered on top. I kid you not, but whenever the word cream or creamy is correlated with food I cannot help myself. This also applies to lotion and perfume scents, but we don't eat those so that's irrelevant.
Anyway, I live by the motto that "the sauce is the boss" and in this case, the avocado cilantro cream sauce really IS the boss. And the burgers are so packed with flavor that the thoughts of the meat that you're NOT eating won't even cross your mind.
Short story here is...try these.
Easy Double Bean Burgers
Adapted from How Sweet It Is
Makes 6 burgers
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 large egg + 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
3 Tbsp. olive oil
3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
1. In a large bowl, mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Add in cilantro, garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing to combine.
2. In a smaller bowl, lightly beat eggs and add in 1 Tbsp. olive oil and panko, stirring to mix. Add the egg mixture to the beans, and mix thoroughly to combine, bringing it together with your hands if needed.
3. Separate the beans into 6 equal sections and form patties.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil (or as much as you need). Add burgers and cook on each side until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove and serve with avocado cream on buns!
Avocado Cilantro Cream
2/3 cup sour cream
1 avocado, chopped
3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
1. Add cilantro and avocado to a *food processor, blending to combine. Once somewhat smooth, add in sour cream and blend again until combined. Add in salt and pepper, taste, and season more if desired.
*If you don’t own a food processor, simply mash avocado with a fork or potato masher until smooth and stir in other ingredients to combine.