Double Chocolate Waffles w/Berry Sauce
Recipe from Our Best Bites
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
6 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or ¼ cup regular chocolate chips
Berry Sauce & Topping
3 cups strawberries or any berry you prefer
1/4 cup strawberry or raspberry jam
2 Tbsp. hot tap water
Optional: powdered sugar to taste
Start by making the berry sauce since it can sit while you make the waffle batter. Combine jam and warm water and whisk until combined. Add in the berries and gently stir until combined. Depending on the sweetness of the berries, you can add a little powdered sugar if you'd like. Set berry sauce aside and make waffle batter.
1. Preheat a waffle iron.
2. Combine flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Use a whisk to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together sugar, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk for a minute so it gets a little frothy.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry a little at a time, whisking to combine. Just stir until they're combined and don't over mix. Stir in the chocolate chips. This is a pretty thin batter, so don't be expecting something that looks like a pancake batter. It's supposed to be thin.
5. Make sure to grease your waffle iron. Place batter in and cook according to your iron. Be careful not to overfill. This batter has plenty of leavening so it will expand.
6. Top with berry sauce and powdered sugar. Enjoy!