Just to warn you...this soup is creamy, creamy, creamy and isn't for the faint of heart. But it sure is good! I love creamy soups and this just hits the spot when you want some good comfort food.
Baked Potato Soup
12 slices bacon
1 1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2/3 cup butter
1 (8 oz.) container sour cream
2/3 cup flour
1 tsp. salt
7 cups milk
1 tsp. black pepper
4 potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled, and cubed
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat and cook until browned. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
2. In a stockpot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Stir in potato. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
December 16, 2010
I liked to say this is a heart attack on a plate, but who cares? It is completely random that I made these for dinner one night, but I had to try it. These little piggies would definitely be a crowd pleaser and I suggest serving them to more than just two people. If you don't, you'll get quite the stomach ache.
Gourmet Pigs in a Blanket
2 lbs (about 60) mini hots dogs
Cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces, optional
1 large egg
Flour, for working with pastry dough
1 box of puff pastry, or two sheets of homemade puff pastry, thawed
poppy seeds or sesame seeds, optional
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF.
2. Slice all hot dogs about 3/4 of the way length-wise and put a small piece of cheese inside the hot dog. If you're not using the cheese, just poke the hot dogs a couple time with a fork.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one sheet of puff pastry at a time into a 11x14 inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into 7 1 1/2 strips, then cut each strip into 4 rectangles, each about 3 inches long.
4. In a small bowl, beat together the egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or baking mat (I am out of parchment so I just sprayed my sheets with some baking spray). Wrap each hot dog with a piece of the puff pastry. Using a pastry brush, brush the top with the egg wash and then sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds. Chill the baking sheet of hot dogs in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.